Home Celebrity Pope Leo Snubs Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’: Vatican Has ‘Insisted’ the UN...

Pope Leo Snubs Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’: Vatican Has ‘Insisted’ the UN Manage ‘Crisis Situations’

The Vatican has declined President Donald Trump’s invitation to take part in his newly created “Board of Peace,” expressing concern that international crises should instead be handled through the United Nations.

The board, introduced as part of Trump’s Gaza proposal that contributed to a fragile ceasefire in October, is scheduled to convene in Washington on Thursday to focus on rebuilding the territory. Trump, who plans to chair the group, has indicated it could eventually broaden its scope to address conflicts around the world.

In a statement released Wednesday, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s chief diplomat, said the Holy See would not join the initiative because of its distinct character, noting that it does not function like a typical sovereign state in such matters.

He added that the Vatican believes the UN should remain the primary body responsible for overseeing international crises, emphasizing that this has been a consistent position of the Holy See.

Pope Leo Snubs Trump's 'Board of Peace': Vatican Has 'Insisted' the UN  Manage 'Crisis Situations'

Pope Leo, the first pontiff born in the United States, received the invitation in January. While the Vatican maintains an extensive diplomatic presence and holds permanent observer status at the United Nations, it seldom participates directly in political governing bodies.

Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos earlier this year, Trump said he had invited 60 nations to take part in the board, with more than 20 agreeing so far, including Israel, Argentina, Russia, Hungary, and Saudi Arabia.

However, several key Western allies—among them France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom—have chosen not to participate. Trump also rescinded Canada’s invitation amid a tariff dispute with Prime Minister Mark Carney.